Thursday, March 11, 2010

Being A Single Mom, The Toughest Job

Mommies  like to talk about their jobs, just like the rest of working world likes to talk about their job.  It is how we bond with each other.  Most people have a boss who is the common enemy (sort of like in Basic Training they give you the drill Sergeant as a common enemy so you will bond).  Guess who the common enemy is for mommies.....well, it isn't exactly the same person all the time, but it is still common.  The child is the common enemy all the time and sometimes the husband.  These are our common enemies.  We do share joys but we also share lots of frustration over what our children are or aren't doing at any given moment.  Same goes for the hubster, we mostly talk about frustrations around what they are or aren't doing.

Except when they are gone.  When hubby travels, absence truly does make my heart grow fonder.

Being a single mom is the toughest job in the world. 

Jeff was on a business trip starting on Monday, but guess what, he gets back today!  To go into a week and know that you clock in at 6:30 AM and don't clock off for 80 plus hours, well, it's a bit overwhelming.  Needless to say, I miss Jeff terribly.  I miss him for his knack for winding the kids up, right before bed.  I miss him for sneaking snacks before and after dinner that they aren't allowed to have.  I miss him for all of the reminders that he leaves me that he is living here, you know, shoes in random places, socks all over the floor, a baseball cap or two left on the kitchen counter. 

No matter what, it is always easier when he is here. 

I talked to a certain mentor of mine this week.  She told me that missing him was a good thing.  She said that when she was raising her four children her husband traveled a lot.  Six to eight weeks at time just coming home on every other weekend.  She would get so good at being a single mom, that she said her husband didn't really fit into the mix when he was home.  I have had plenty of friends tell me it is easier and things run more smoothly when their husbands are on trips.  I am glad that it is easier when Jeff is here, I wouldn't want it any other way. 

I really need him more than just for changing light bulbs, mowing the grass and taking out the trash.  For instance, right now my "change engine oil" in my car is on.... just kidding.  I need him for a sounding board.  I need him to relate the daily events to so that I remember them better.  I need him for his wonderful dish washing abilities, ahem.  I need him for his excellent baths he gives the kids, cough.  I need him to walk the dog.  And more than anything, I need him to laugh.  He makes me laugh and makes me realize how funny life really is. 

The first thing that popped in my head this morning at 6:00 AM, (seriously, why do they wake up so early?) I thought about Jeff coming home today, yay!

Here's to all the single moms in the world, you are amazing.  This job is so tough.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you are doing a great job when Jeff is gone. How about it for a year? It is nice to miss each other once in awhile.

Mary Jane