Wednesday, March 3, 2010

At Least Rocky and Bullwinkle are Still Fighting Natasha and Boris

I get that we are warring with some individuals in the Middle East.  I remember 9/11.  I know that American families, sons, husbands, brothers, uncles not to mention the moms, daughters, wives and aunts are being affected by war, right now and that right now it is happening in Iraq and Afganistan prominently.  In no way am I trying to diminish our troop's efforts.

Howevah, can Hollywood find any other stories to tell?  Is this the way our parents felt during the '80s when every other movie was about the Cold War and Russia?  Is this the way they felt in the '70s when every movie was about Vietnam or Korea?  I am tired.  I want a new enemy.  At least they aren't making a cartoon out of the situation.  Was it weird that Rocky and Bullwinkle actually had Russian enemies?  I am kind of thinking that wouldn't go over so well today.

Here are the Middle East war movies that I have seen.  Some of them are exceptionally done, some just meh; but I still want a new enemy. 

Fahrenheit 9/11 (2004)
Syriana (2005)
Jarhead (2005)
In the Valley of Elah (2006) Exceptional
World Trade Center (2006) Exceptional
Babel (2006) Very good
The Kingdom (2007)
Charlie Wilson's War (2007)  Interesting
A Mighty Heart (2007)
Traitor (2008)
Body of Lies (2008)
The Hurt Locker (2009) Pretty good I must admit.

Towelhead (2007) Exceptional

Now Towelhead is a movie everyone should see.  It is about tolerance, set on American soil, I think we all can learn from it.  I know I did.

I know this is a selfish even juvenile response to an entertainment choice, which makes it insignificant and did I mention juvenile?  I could really use a little Cold War right now, I am excited to see Inglorious Bastards and am really hoping that it kicks Hurt Locker's Middle Eastern booty.  (Hurt Locker was good, but I don't think it deserves an Oscar.)

5 comments:

Kelli said...

I'm such a weeny, I don't watch war movies because they either make me too sad, too mad, or gross me out. I'm scared to watch Inglorious Basterds even though the hubby wants to see so because Quentin Tarantino's movie are always so bloddy and I get all squeamish and squirmy at the sight of blood. So, when you see it, let me know if it's bloody. I'll trust your opinion. :)

Dawn said...

I have a tendency to think I am a bigger girl than I am. I always am trying to watch things that I really shouldn't be watching. So a lot of times I will watch with my eyes closed, interesting and even some times listen with my ears plugged. I will let you know how Inglorious Bastards is, I am a tiny bit nervous on that one.

Heather said...

One I thought was very interesting was Valkyrie a war movie set in 1945 and not a lot of directviolence but more on the plots and strategy of war. Definitely played to my strategic thinking genes.

Daphne said...

I thought Valkyrie and Inglorious Bastards were good. Brad Pitt does a good job of emphasizing the hick accent I sure his worked to keep away as a kid. Although bloody very good.

Daphne said...

My brain is tired. I meant his parents worked hard.