Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sock Issues, Among Other Things

I believe everyone is aware that I am not a patient person.  I try.  Children have definitely helped me in this arena, especially my eldest.  In case you didn't know, children and parents are paired up somewhere in the great beyond for their strengths and weaknesses.  If your baby tries you at every turn and knows how to push your buttons right around 18 months it is because you are supposed to be working on something.  I am fairly certain that Jac will be teaching me lessons in patience well into his adulthood.  I can't wait.

The latest trial we have been going through is about socks and shoes, but mostly just socks.  Summer is a great time, bare footedness and Crocs are fantastic for people with sensitive toes.  You don't have to worry about seams or wrinkles or the heel or seams, did I mention seams?   We have been in school for approximately 10 weeks, give or take.  It is a requirement that the kids wear closed toed shoes for recess and rubber non marking soled shoes for PE.  We are lucky and get to have PE every other day.  The class gets a recess outside almost every day also.  Even if the school didn't have these rules, I would make Jac wear socks and tennis shoes to school, simply so that he could be fast and sure and play his hardest if he wanted to. 

For 10 weeks we have had minor issues.  It is a battle pretty much every day to choose a pair of socks that will feel good.  And trust me, we have a variety of socks.  That is not the problem, I buy socks constantly in hopes of finding the one truly comfortable pair of socks for Jac.  Hanes are terrible, don't ever buy them.  Champion are better but too thick if your feet are getting a little big for your shoes.  The thin athletic socks that are wicking, generally not made of cotton seem to be the best, however they do tend to hug the toes a bit too much for Jac's liking. 

It took us about 30 minutes yesterday to find a pair of socks that were suitable.  I had actually gotten some new socks from Stride Rite that boasted a "comfort seam".  The seam was truly nonexistent, barely there.  I wanted Jac to try these socks out before putting on his shoes, big mistake.  My big take away from this is that Jac will never be the kid who runs around in his socks.  He ditches both shoes and socks as soon as he arrives home from school.  He then will be either barefoot or slip his Crocs on for the rest of the day.  So having him test run his new socks thirty minutes before the bus, was torture.  I didn't realize that.  Big lesson, regardless of the sock; as soon as you put on the sock put a shoe on over.  It seems to deaden the sensitivity a bit. 

Surely someone out there has this issue themselves or has dealt with it in their children.  I have a lot of questions!  What socks do you buy?  I just recently bought some super 'spensive socks for him that aren't here yet from a website for kids with sensory issues.  We'll see.  Surely there is something better and cheaper out there. 

My other question is, how do you desensitize?  We have tag issues, underwear issues (Jac actually went to school without underpants yesterday because we literally could not face another clothing battle.), coat issues (can't be too bulky), pajama issues, shoe issues and pretty much clothing issues in general if they are too big or too little. 

It makes me wonder about when he was an infant if his witching hour in the evenings where he would cry from 5pm to 8pm was because he had finally had it with whatever uncomfortable outfit I had him in that day. 

My other question is, how did kids like Jac cope with wooden clogs, a sock that was home made/spun and then darned a hundred times or wearing wool all the time because you live on a sheep farm, etc. etc.  Seems like my little suburban guy has it easy.....

No comments: