Friday, November 5, 2010

Lest We Forget I Had a Birthday

Subconciously, I was going to slip that little birthday under the rug.  I really don't get freaked about my birthday.  There have been numbers that have seemed more significant than others.  But in general, I look forward to my birthday.  I look forward to Halloween and all of the festivities that come with it, I look forward to feeling a little special and receiving wishes and cards and gifts.  But let's be honest folks, birthdays do become a bit stale the more you have.  And now, being on the other side of 30 - numbers prior to this were still low 30s.  I am officially on the other side, in the upper 30s and it feels a bit odd.  I know that 40 is just around the bend. 

My DH did a great job on my birthday.  He did all of the things that make the day a little different than the next.  He let me sleep in, he made me breakfast, he let me dictate the days activities, he took the kiddos off in another direction while I went to the mall and out to lunch with my sister.  He bought a ridiculously large cake that we all adored.  And of course, he gave me a lovely gift that was very thoughtful.  A watch.  I haven't had a 'fancy' watch (Mia's description) in a long time.  It's perfect.

Of course, when I was digging for a complement and asked him, "How does it feel to be married to a 36 year old?"  My smooth, romantic husband said, "It sounds old.  Especially, considering I stopped aging at 28."  Hm.

Here are the things I learned during my 36th year:
  • I have known this for awhile, but every year it seems to solidify, my family truly is the most important thing to me.  I have been blessed with an amazing, talented and funny husband who supports me and challenges me; and he just happens to be pretty easy on the eyes.  And somehow we were given two amazing kids with another on the way.
  • Pregnancy becomes harder the older you get.  Sometimes the spirit is willing but the body is just not able.
  • I have an amazing support group of friends and family and am constantly humbled by the acts of service that they provide.
  • Kids grow up fast.
  • My energy for fighting battles in life has diminished, I need to regroup and pick the ones that are truly worthwhile. 
  • Even at the ripe old age of 36, a five year old and a four year will be the two people that try my patience on a daily basis.  Not the global financial meltdown, not the sluggish race reform in our country, not the mom's at the PTO, not the speed of my internet connection - oh no, definitely the five year old and the four year that I live with.
  • Try, try, try to live in the moment.  Because it can all be gone in the blink of an eye. 
Wow - I got all serious today.  Thanks to everyone for making my birthday great.  Now I have to get used to checking the 36-44 box on surveys, yuk.

No comments: