Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What I read on Vacation

I read three books on vacation, Jody Picoult's Handle with Care, I already discussed here.  I also read, Sweet Ruin by Cathi Hanauer.  I cannot recommend this book, at least not as a pregnant woman.  Although it was interesting and I finished it quickly, it is about a woman who loses her baby four days after she gives birth.  The book is basically about how her life becomes a disaster and she almost loses her family until she finally pulls it all together in the end.   Why is everyone writing about babies dying?

The book I do want to talk about, that I want to RAVE about is Everything Matters by Ron Currie, Jr.   Although this is not a religious book, (I am actually not sure that Ron Currie is religious, his other book in print is titled God is Dead.  Although I haven't read that book and can only speculate.) it is very spiritual and dives deeply into ethical issues many of which I have never even thought about. 

This is not a spoiler because by the first chapter you know this information, the premise of the book is that the world is going to end in 35 years and that the main character hears voices in his head that tell him this information along with a lot of other pertinant information during his lifetime.  He actually hears this voice beginning in utero (how is it that I keep reading these types of books?) and he almost dies, but the voice talks him through what he must do in order to survive. 

In a nutshell it is a "Would you Rather" question:  If the world is coming to an end in 30 years, would you rather lead a crappy, miserable existence or one that is worth something and that helps people?

The book is part thriller, part mystery, part love story (of course) and really a huge part coming of age.  For all of you who still don't feel like you have grown up, or feel like you still make poor decisions mistakenly; this book is right up your alley.  Dare I say that it explores the meaning of life in an accessible and relateable manner?  Read it, it is quick and easy, but makes you think at every turn.  I may actually, and I NEVER do this, read it again.  It is that thought provoking. 

For all of you who don't want to provoke your thoughts, it is actually a great END OF THE WORLD, DISASTER BOOK, almost SPY THRILLER, so you should check it out too and just ignore those uncomfortable thoughts that tickle the back of your brain about eternity, death, love and the meaning of life. 

1 comment:

Mary said...

I love book reviews! Thanks! My reading list right now is SO long, I feel like I'm never going to catch up.